Thursday, August 31, 2006

I smoke

Life's short and i'm smoking it away,
who gives a dammn, i'm dying anyway,
slowly, painfuly, in this godforsaken ghetto
breath by breath, blow by blow

the red glow at the tip of my fingers
is the only thing alive, where gloom lingers
twisted in agony, by mandatory sacrifice
from the ashes, will a phoenix rise?

with my soul at stake, the dice rolls
in the fabric of reason, there are gaping holes
with every puff, a fleeting moment of bliss
what's the use,life has lost it's fizz

my bastion of principles, is riddled with holes
betrayed by society, compromised by moles
i fight a lost battle, to retain my hold
my soul haunts me, stand up for what you think, be bold.

i envy them, who traded their principles,
for gems, jewels and glittering metals
they live in comfort, oblivious of the world
for it was their soul they sold

i pity them too, for that's not life
measely cogs, in the mechanized strife
die or be tied to a yoke,
death i choose, and so i smoke

9 comments:

Ashita said...

Never knew my friend was in sucha pain! Brilliant, but still don't smoke yourself away!

GajabKhopdi said...

Good one but somehow the emotions are being overshadowed by the use of strong words.Try mellowing it down a bit. At a coupla places the meter didnt quite sit properly but then its rather inconspicuous.
overall: you can write better(and on better topics)

P.S.: Actually its easy being a critic. Truly Speakin, it was much better than any poem i have ever written!

Saumya said...

Hi Aneesh!
I came to know abt your blog through Vinod.
This poem came to me when i needed it most. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Awesome piece n so bloddy damn true ..
(hope u dont have a copyright .. am using it as my status msg ;) ..) ..

Anonymous said...

Dude you must use creative common license. Here is a pointer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons

Anonymous said...

By far, the best poem I've read on your blog! Awesome! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

wow! nobody who smoked ever justified it d way u did! nice poem!

ZRS Ansari said...

hey bro i think i was the first to listen it on air from u.
i repeat my words again that i expressed that day your best composition till date.